Tuesday, March 4, 2008

......LHS News......
Originally sent March 2

So sorry to report an email from '59 classmate Robert 'Bob' Meek to let me know that is dad passed away this last Wednesday, Feb. 27. CW1 (retired) Jack H. Meek, 88. Services are 10:00am Monday March 3 at First Christian Church in Lawton. Burial will be in Memorial Park Cemetery in his home town of Tulsa.Mr. Meek is survived by his wife Dorothy Louise, sons Bob, Lewis, and Richard. According to Bob "a whole passel of grandkids and great grandkids." Bob's brother Lewis graduated Lawton High 1960. I think Rick graduated the other high school (Eisenhower?) in 1970.On line book at <www.beckerfuneral.com> or <http://www.beckerfuneral.com/sitemaker/sites/becker0/obit.cgi?user=jack-meek>

Also in Lawton Sunday paper, The passing of Cherri (Streetman) Miller, 58, of Branson, MO. Cherri passed away on Feb. 29. She grew up in Lawton and was a 1968 grad of LHS. She is survived by husband Chuck Miller who she married in 1978. Also two sons - Chad and Ryan, a daughter - Nikki; a brother Willford Streetman and two sisters both of Lawton - Toni Walker and Jana Barrett.Services will be 10:00am Tuesday, March 4, at the Clinger-Hope Family Funeral Home in White Chapel, MO.

Emailed with '59 classmate Jerry Morgan and received this update from him. Jerry suffered a stroke some months back & so happy for his progress.
"I am still having problems with my vision and balance. As a result I do not look at the screen on PC more than necessary. I print out the email's so I can read them. I have had 2 1/2 months of therapy on my balance and physical. I was dismissed two weeks ago from therapy. They said I had progressed to the limit of their help. I have been moving some of the tree brush from my yard. I have a grapple on the front loaded on my tractor. I put the seat belt on while using the tractor. That gives my wife comfort when I use the tractor."

The class of 1958 has sent out a letter with more details on their upcoming 50 year reunion plus a list of missing classmates. If you would like a copy, please email Ivalou Gilliam. I did not forward as some tell me they cannot open some of my attachments. IvaGilliam@aol.com

LHS class of 1978 is having an organizational meeting for a reunion. Anyone interested in helping is invited on Tuesday March 11, 3403 NW Baltimore, Lawton, 7:30pm. For info contact Sherry Hankins - Conwell at (580) 248-1524.

In Sunday Lawton paper (today) wonderful article on a former Lawton teacher - Vivian Waller. Mrs. Waller is celebrating her 102 birthday. Mrs. Waller was teaching at Central Junior High when many of us were students.
Just in a nutshell:
She was born March 2, 1906 in Byars, OK. Her father was a Baptist preacher and her mom was a homemaker. She had two brothers.When she was 6, her dad moved the family to Purcell where he was elected County clerk. Later he was Dean of Men at Oklahoma Baptist University. He eventually came to Lawton where he was at Calvary Baptist church until he retired.

Mrs. Waller graduated from Purcell high school in 1923 & went to OBU, graduating in 1927. She got a job teaching Spanish and music at Purcell High. On a visit to Lawton to see her family, she became reacquainted with Ernest Waller whom she had met previously at OBU. He had started a dry goods business in Lawton & Altus and eventually opened his own store in Lawton - Waller's, on 3rd street.He and Vivian were married by her father on May 6, 1935.

She eventually became a 4th grade teacher at Emerson & later taught 8th grade English at Central and was once named Teacher of the Year. She said she has lived her entire life in Oklahoma but has visited every continent in the world - save Antarctica. When she wasn't in school, she traveled during the summer. She said traveling was "educational." Her husband passed some years ago. Her only child, son John, is retired & lives in Norman.
When asked to what does she attribute her longevity? "The answer is the will of God" she says, "I've lived beyond the norm through His grace and goodness."

I do remember Mrs. Waller and thought many of you would also. Wonderful lady.

Regards to all.......Georgia

1 comment:

Ron Frost said...

I remember Mrs. Waller very well. She was my favorite teacher at Central and probably had a lot to do with my becoming a writer. What a wonderful lady.