Wednesday, April 1, 2009

......LHS News......
Originally sent March 26

Sorry to report the passing of another of our really golden Wolverines....
Cecil P. Lawson, 81, of Lawton passed March 23. Cecil is a 1944 grad of LHS. Services will be Friday March 27 at First United Methodist church, 10:00am, burial at Sunset Memorial Gardens.
Lengthy obit and guest book at: <www.beckerfuneral.com>

I had a nice snail-mail note from Glenda (Doan) Stanton. Glenda asked me to pass this info along......her sister Virginia (Doan) Neumann, class of '52, is battling breast and lung cancer. Glenda asks for your prayers and says Virginia would love to hear from any that would like to say 'hi'. No calls as she has difficulty talking, but letters or cards would be greatly enjoyed.
To say hello and let her know you are thinking of her, write: Virginia Neumann, 679 Bearden Rd., Monroe, GA 30655.

'59 classmate Eddie 'Art' Coulson has written to get us caught up on his whereabouts the last few years. Eddie is living in Phoenix and is planning to be here for the BIG 5-0 reunion in October. Eddie would like to touch base with any classmate(s) that would like to email/visit. acoul58156@yahoo.com

This email from Ed Harp, class '54.......
"It's great to be home again and I will share the wonderful e-mails I've received as soon as possible. Carole read them all to me and I appreciate them very much. The surgery went very well. I was just delayed in coming home by four days while the surgeon fine-tuned the medication to prevent atrial fibrillation.
Johnna (Adams) Hopper just spent four days in the hospital while they adjusted medications to straighten her atrial fibrillation out. I have to say you are a terrific group and I'm extremely proud to be your classmate. Here's one quick story: The surgeon used a bovine valve to replace my aortic valve. This inspired our oldest son to present me with a stuffed white bull with pink spots. He got Carole to stitch some red threads into the chest. He says the name of the bull is Hugh Heifer. I told him that I understand he can't help doing things like this, not with the Smartass Gene coming to him from BOTH parents. I just looked up to the top of my monitor and see that there is an even smaller stuffed bull staring back at me. I called Carole, who's out getting prescriptions filled, and she says she knows who put it there but isn't telling. The reason I hadn't noticed before is that it's sitting right where a small walrus has been. That was given to me by my former supervisor.
I can't stand it. Best regards, Ed"

Ed does a monthly newsletter for his class of 1954. If you would like Ed to add you to his list, email: edharp@swbell.net

Next two items not exactly LHS news, but I thought would be of interest:
Edna Hennessee of Lawton is one of seven Oklahoma women who was inducted into the Oklahoma Women's Hall of Fame. The induction ceremony took place at 3:00 today in the House Chamber at the State Capitol, followed by a reception in the 4th floor Rotunda.
Established in 1982, the Oklahoma Women's Hall of Fame recognizes Oklahoma women who are pioneers in their field or in projects that benefit Oklahoma, who have made a significant contribution to the State of Oklahoma, who serve or have served as role models to other Oklahoma women, who are 'unsung heroes' who have made a difference in the lives of Oklahomans or Americans because of their actions, who have championed other women, women's issues, or who have served as public policy advocates for issues important to women.

btw.....Edna is well known in these parts (Aloe Vera products) & we go way back! She was a nurse early on and was in the delivery room with my mom at the Angus Hospital/Clinic when I was born. When, you ask? Can't remember!!!!

The Lady Sooners beat Georgia Tech 69-50 Tuesday night to advance to the Sweet 16 in Oklahoma City on Sunday, joining the OU men who play in their Sweet 16 game Friday night in Memphis.

Bracing for one more (hopefully last) winter blast this week-end. Georgia

No comments: