Wednesday, September 2, 2009

......LHS News......
Originally sent August 31


So sorry to report the passing of Edna (Phariss) House Free, 91, of Lawton. Mrs. Free passed on August 28.She is the mom of '59 classmate Judy (House) Hargrove and other children, Robert, Martha, Dennis, and Anna Beth. She is aunt of Wayne Parks, '60.She is also survived by her husband Mitch Free and a stepson Mitchell Free; numerous grand and great-grand children.

Services will be Wednesday Sept. 2, Becker Funeral Home Chapel at 1:30pm. Burial will be at Sunset Memorial Gardens.
Extended obit and guest book at: www.beckerfuneral.com

It's 50 great years for Billie (Suggs) Penn and hubby Bill. The couple married on Sept. 4 and will celebrate on Sept. 6 by renewing their wedding vows at a reception hosted by son Zed and daughter Allison. The Penns live in Lawton. Billie is a '57 grad of LHS.

Also celebrating this important 50th milestone is '59 classmate, Fern (Ewing) Burch and hubby Jerry. They married on August 22 and recently celebrated with daughters Jeri and Joni and son Jamie, plus in-laws and grandchildren.Fern and Jerry live in Cache.
Major congrats to both these couples!

Reservations for the class 1959 - 50th reunion are coming in fast and furious. We also have numerous responses from those of other classes who are attending. We look forward to all the '59 classmates and too happy to have classmates from other years coming to join the party with us.If you need any information, email me. Deadline September 5!

From the eMail bag:
I remember eating at the boarding house a lot, but I remember it being in the middle of the block about 608 or 610. Great Food!!! I also remember eating a lot at Yoakum's at about 508 -510 D Ave. I ate there a lot and occasionally at Burns-Ford at their fountain. Great grill cheese and BLT's. Damn, great memories. Wish I could go back to those days. We never realized what we had and now appreciate so much 60 years later. What good times.....The best hot dogs were at Coney Island on 5th & D about 2 doors down from the Lawton Theater. Earl Barton

I was one of those who ate there [boarding house] on occasions and it was great! Bill and I shared many of good times at noon there and then up to Johnson's, 6th & C, across from Hudson car dealer and Leister's, iced cream cone. Ah, those were the good ole days. Also don't leave out the Dairy Cream store on D Street next JC Penny, as I ate there a lot also. Hot Dogs, they say now, is a cause of cancer, latest wild rumor, were the main order. I extend my prayers to our young friend Dee [Glass, '52] also, as I am facing a new round of treatment with Lazar Radiation to the small tumor on right lung, size of a dime on 9/10/09, and cataracts surgery on or around 9/2/09. The Democrat plan would preclude all of this as I would be too old, but my military medicine takes care me., All please keep our country in your prayers and let your congressman and senators know today what you want them to do! They work for us contrary to what most of them are saying up there, like Waxman, Dodd, that Illinois senate duo. I am deeply worried about my freedoms that I have shed blood for, to protect all of us. God Bless America, Ralph [Purvis, '52], San Antonio

Regards to all......Georgia


No comments: