Friday, April 25, 2008

......LHS News......
Originally sent April 23

Update: Grave side services for Vivian Joyce (Pursley) Dendy, 68, Norman, will be at 10:00am Sunday, April 27, at Faxon Cemetery in Faxon, OK (just a little SW of Lawton). She died Wednesday April 16, 2008 in Norman.
She was born December 31, 1939 to Joyce J. and Wilma Pursley in Lawton, Okla. She remained there until attending Howard Payne College, Brownwood, Texas. Married Donald Dendy in 1958, later divorced. Became a resident of Norman, Okla. in 1970 where she lived the rest of her life. She was a bookkeeper for Kunkel's Lumber and W & W Sand for a number of years. She was very well known for her piano playing and singing.
Survivors include two daughters, Di Anna White, Norman, and Jennifer Worley, Oklahoma City. A brother Roger, her mom Wilma Pursley. Also left to cherish her memory are four grandchildren, Nevada Dendy, Cheyenne Dendy, Moriah Dendy, and J.R. White. And various other relatives and friends. She was preceded in death by her son Jay Dendy and her father J.J. Pursley. (a slight re-write from Norman Transcript obit that Frank Hankins sent)
You may sign guest book at:<http://www.legacy.com/normantranscript/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=108195377>

Also passing, Mark Russell English, 52, Jenks, OK. Mark attended Washington grade school, Central, & graduated LHS class '74. Mark passed April 11 and services will be this Saturday, April 26, at Centenary United Methodist church in Lawton, 1:00pm. Mark is survived by wife Janet and daughter Lauren. His parents Darrold & Lucille English are both deceased as is a brother Larry English. (Larry was also LHS grad & passed not all that long ago).

And, I received a call that Juanita Aust of Lawton, passed away this morning (Wed). She has been in ill health for some time. Juanita is mom to classmate Donna (Aust) Littlefield. Donna is LHS class '62 or maybe '61?
No details on services as yet.

Also want to pass along, Mike Wilkerson, class '53 I believe, is currently in SouthWestern Hospital in Lawton. Bless Mike...he just has some problems but may be going 'home' Thursday? He would love to hear from any who would care to drop a card or a note. Home for Mike is Ten Oaks Retirement Center, 3610 SE Huntington Circle, Lawton, OK 73501; (580) 353-1190 - main number.

Always hate this sad/bad news BUT......unfortunately it's a part of life.

OK......on to good news 'dept'.......I was asked to pass this info along for LHS class 1978 and have also made a link on the Wolvernetblog site:
"Welcome! If you are a member of the Lawton High School class of 1978, then please join us. Let us know where you are and what you're doing these days. We hope to keep up-to-date information about reunions and any other things going on with class members. <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LawtonHigh78/ >
Thanks so much..I just wanted to start a place where we could keep in touch.....Sherry"

Had a great lunch and visit today with '59 classmates Johnna Parks, Janey Scott, and Kay Strickland. We motored out to the Plantation (old hotel) at Medicine Park to check things out. They have done a great job of re-doing the old hotel and the food was quite good. Its a 'fun' and enjoyable place to relax & soak in the ambiance! Water was gushing profusely over the 'falls' just across the road from the hotel. Guess Lawtonka is full. Check it out when you have opportunity.
btw...today was Kay's bday!!!!!!

Johnna & Wayne Parks are in process of packing up in Houston and will be moving home mid-summer after an absence of some 15 years! Can't wait to have them home!

Received this from LHS '57-er Mitch Braley:
"I am retiring for the third and last time, however I will be very busy at the farm in Northeast Texas....... and also in Oklahoma. Yes! I love both states!God bless you all. (Call me if you want to talk about football teams). MB

Some asked that I report on classmates travels, trips, etc. While some don't like their 'plans' known......I will be happy to pass along any travel-logs you wish to share!!!!

Speaking of travels.....received this recently from class '56 Tom Wells who should be back in Kansas by now:
To all, Spring has sprung in Kansas (sort of) and now it's time to click our heels three time to go home. What a great three months we've had this year in San Antonio. We've enjoyed having many long time friends and family who live in Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, several locations in Texas visit us. We've also added a few more new friends from San Antonio to our list this year. I hate to admit this, but I almost got golfed out a couple times this year. 36 holes of golf a day for five and six days started to wear on me a little bit, but I loved every minute of it. Judy enjoyed our visitors, shopping, good weather and singing in the Ft Sam Houston choir. Now we are cleaning and packing and will be departing today to Brenham (home of Blue Bell Ice cream), Richmond, Ft Worth and then on to the Land of Oz. If we'd known KU would have made the Final Four we'd have made other arrangements. That is what we get for not having faith in our Jayhawks. God bless everyone. God has smiled on Judy and I and we ARE grateful. Ain't life grand? Tom and Judy

All my best.....Georgia

4 comments:

Karen said...

Does anyone know if there is a reunion planned this summer for the Class of 78?
Karen

MulberryMemories said...

Hi Georgia! I hope you remember me, Becky Phillips Putney! I made your dough things!

I graduated LHS 1974! I'm so happy to find this blog and read the news, good and bad.

I'll bookmark and pass along anything I hear. Thanks for doing this!!! Becky

pat said...

Hi Georgia, I'm Pat Sullivan, classof 1959. I want to attend our class reunion next year. I live in Spokane, Washington. Please keep me informed. Thanks

gjw said...

Pat, I am sorry, had missed your post....please email me or contact me with your email or snail mail address. Georgia
April 2009