Sunday, August 22, 2010


......LHS News......

Originally sent August 19


So sorry to report the passing of Norma Faye (Allison) Duncan, 86, of Marlow. Norma passed on August 15. She was LHS class 1942. She is survived by a son Dave; daughter Cori; numerous grand and great grand children.There will be graveside service at 11:00am, Friday, August 20, Sunset Memorial Gardens in Lawton.
Extended obit and guest book at: www.beckerfuneral.com

Also passing, Mary Ellen Godfrey, 81, of Prince George, VA, formerly of Lawton. Mrs. Godfrey passed on August 8 and a graveside service will held at a later date in Walters, OK. Mrs. Godfrey is mom of '64 classmate Sharon (Godfrey) McLawhorn of VA. There is an extended obit in Sunday Lawton paper - August 15.
Our sympathies are with these families in their loss.

Jim Powers, '55, just had some knee surgery. Not exactly sure what, but some new 'parts'. Talked with him & all is well. Parts is parts!
"We are now in Lexington, NC celebrating our son's 50th birthday. How can our baby be so old?"
Tommye (Boudreau) Hobbs...hubby Ray, both '52.

Bon Voyage..." I'm off to eastern Europe, Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Romania (and Transylvania), Slovakia and check Republic and Germany, All on a first class ticket on American. Trying to use all those miles. Don't let people fool you. I have never had a problem cashing them."
Dan Glascock, '59

More memories from the eMail bag.......
"How I enjoy all the memories the mails offer. About Bernice Smith. How I hated going up to her hot,hot class! and for typing too for that matter. Lord only knows how many times over the yrs I've thanked B.Smith and her hard (I thought at the time) classes. I have thanked her in my mind for the wonderful classes. I can so remember her. Hope she does well, I had wondered if she had passed. I send these letters to my sister, Jo Brammer Vittitow in San Antonio, my 2 cousins, Walter Crabtree in CA., and another cousin, Punk Bonner. They are all younger than I so they do get a kick out of the mails. Keep up the good work."
Verna Le (Brammer) Zeiders, '52

"Does anyone remember playing Bingo during the intermission at the Vaska on Friday and Saturday nights? It was a big thing for families of all ages. Also Smiley Burnett was the Grand Marshall for several Rodeo parades while he was coming to Lawton, didn't he ride a white horse with a black circle around his eye and have a dog with him? Great memories, also remember what excitement it was when we had the parades in downtown Lawton. Everyone sitting to the back of their cars or beds of their trucks, even on the curbs. We all were so proud with marching bands, the military and all the other attractions; then to top it off with the rodeos. Miss it."
Ann (Knowles) Saunders. '59

"I do remember the Ritz, my uncle Ted Newman took Bob and I and maybe cousin Sam (Joyner) to see Tarzan as well as cowboy movies. Don't remember the cost? and not sure if my folks knew we went there. The Vaska was owned by Max Brock and I do remember "New Faces", even tho I am much younger than Sam (Hamra). They also had a movie about the Easter Story that was actually filmed in the Wichita mountains and shown on screen with the actors at the Vaska for the premier?..not sure which year. My folks took me to many movies when I was very young. Anyone remember Sally Rand? My folks actually took me to the Lawton Theatre to see her 'in person' (probably to the dismay/shock to my friends parents). Then she was back in Lawton for a Lawton Community Benefit at the Dix home (old Shepler house) in the 70?s??.must say she looked much better the first time!!"
Nancy (Joyner) McKinnis, '59

"I remember Gabby Hayes at the Ritz theater. He had me up on stage and let me pull his beard. He then asked me if I had combed my hair with a vacuum cleaner."
Scotty Brown, '56

.." I recall the drive in Ben mentions. I think it was approximately 11th and Lee. It was called "Smiley Burnette's Checkered Shirt" and had a sharply-sloping roof. I don't think it lasted more than a year or two."
Jack [Rhodes, '59]

"Here is a picture of David Whitewell and his wife, Giselle. David was in the class of 1955, resides in Austin, TX and has conducted orchestras and bands throughout the world. He graduated from the University of Michigan. His wife, Giselle, is a music therapist working with pregnant women in Austin, Texas. Recently found your email and enjoys all the news that you share with ALL."
Barbara Richards, '55
I appreciate Barbara sending this info and the great picture (above).
Several reunions coming up. Info (details) posted on the blog HERE - on right side of page.
Class of 1985 is planning a reunion for September 3-4. Contact Sandra Harrison for information. (214) 794-2097; sandra_harrison1967@yahoo.com
Class 1970 has their reunion coming up fast also - September 10-11. Contact: Debbie (Brewczynski) Thompson, 6106 Williams, Lawton, OK 73505, phone: (580) 678-4875.

Class 1955 reunion on October 8-9. This is the NEW date and updated information regarding the LHS Class of '55 Reunion:

Friday Oct. 8, noon at Old Plantation, Medicine Park. Order from menu, 'dutch treat', pick up registration package.

Friday evening: social hour and dinner at Mike's Sports Grill in Lawton, beginning 6:00pm. Order from menu, 'dutch treat', outside on patio.

Saturday Oct. 9th, noon, back at Old Plantation at Medicine Park. Buffet, $25.00 per person. Reservation for buffet due by September 10.

Checks payable to LHS Class '55; mail to Glenda (Doan) Stanton at 1001 NW 16th, Lawton, OK 73507. If planning to eat at Mikes on Friday night, let Glenda know your preference: Catfish or grilled chicken salad.

*Casual or western wear.* Any contact changes, address, email, etc., or for information, email bswilla@yahoo,com OR sharonstrait@wichitaonline.net


Still more memories to come. Regards to all.........Georgia

No comments: