Monday, August 30, 2010

......LHS News......
Originally sent August 27

So very sorry to report the passing of Robert Henry 'Andy' Andersen, 71, of Lawton. Andy passed on August 23. Andy is husband of '59 classmate Sharon Kay (Cummins). They have been married 53 years. After his retirement from military, Andy and Sharon were big into classic antique cars touring with the Cafe Cruisers.He is survived by Sharon; daughter Lynna; several grandchildren.
Graveside services with full military honors will be 2:00pm Friday August 27, Ft. Sill National Cemetery.
Extended obit and guestbook at www.whineryhuddleston.com

Also, we have lost another of our truly golden Wolverines. Jessie 'Mu Jessie' (Hardy) Overstreet, 94, of Lawton, passed on August 22. She attended McKinley grade school and graduated LHS in 1934. She is survived by one son, J.R. Overstreet; daughter Elnora; sister Clara Burris; numerous grand and great grand children. Services were held August 25.
Extended obit and guest book at: www.whineryhuddleston.com

I know our sympathies are with Sharon in her loss and also the Overstreet family.

From the eMail bag:
I need to make a correction.....Doug Kemper is LHS class '63 NOT '64 as previously reported! Sorry Doug, you just got a year older!

"While Carolyn and I were driving back from Oregon today the subject turned to the price of hamburgers in the mid fifties. Try as I may, I couldn't remember the price of hamburgers at Wayne's Drive In in, let's say, the summer of '55. Someone must remember. Well?"
Don Yancey

"Growing up, I used to go to the Ritz every Sat with my cousin to see westerns. As I got older, I used to go to the Murray Theatre which had become a place showing "art" films that I found fascinating. And, of course, attended the rest of the theaters in town, including Vaska, which as I remember, lasted longer than all those downtown (because downtown went away).Hope you're doing well. All the best,"
Charles Gilbert, '54

"I too remember the Vaska and spent many evenings there in those comfortable seats. I remember Mr Brock used to have the bingo and we would nearly always win at least a six pack of Pepsi -- Once they had a promotion and raffled off a bicycle. I really great bicycle. Handlebar bell, front basket and shock absorbers on the front tires. The win this bicycle you had to put tickets with your name in a big roller thing. To get a ticket to put in here you had to make a purchase at a local merchant. Ten cents would get you one ticket. You would have to write your name on the ticket and place it in a rolling basket at the theatre.
My father was building a house and buying all his lumber from Currell Lumber Co. One evening Dad brought home two giant rolls of tickets and our family stayed up most of the night writing my name on these tickets. Must have been a couple of thousand. And that is how I won the best bicycle of my life."
Jimmy Reynolds

"And don't forget the Murray Theatre on north side of "C" St. near the old Warren Hotel"
Joe Lansden, '56

..." my wife, Nikki (Bentley) class of 62, receives your LHS news. I have read with interest about the Vaska Saturday morning programs. I remember a contest they had one year with Fairmont Foods. I believe they were a dairy producer. We collected their logo off of the milk products and took them each week for a contest. The one with the most won prizes like a bicycle. I do remember going door to door trying to collect empty milk cartons from the neighbors. Several of us pooled our resources in an attempt to win the big prize."
Paul Baker, '61, Enid, OK

Once again Herb Jacobs Sunday column in Lawton paper [August 22 - page 6-C] highlights an LHS grad and the impact sports had on his family and vice versa. The column, 'Where Are They Now', talks about Smokey Torbert and wife Mary Ann and their five children. Smokey was LHS class '48, played football for LHS, Cameron, and SWS before graduating pharmacy school and other endeavors. Smokey passed several years ago. Good read if you have opportunity.

Need your help! Lawton's Field of Dreams is almost over the top [in PEPSI competition] ......IF you will take just a minute to VOTE...will be greatly appreciated. Preston Holsinger and several other LHS grads are helping with this local project. If you type in 'field of dreams' then you go right to the area to vote for the Lawton field. http://www.refresheverything.com/miracleleaguelawtonfortsill

I am still condensing and editing a lot of info I have received on the Easter Pageant and various other Lawton memories. Soon.
Regards to all........Georgia

No comments: