Wednesday, October 14, 2009


......LHS News......
Originally sent October 13

Once again, we have lost classmates and older grads.....

So very sorry to report the passing of Jo G. Andrews, 94, of Lawton. He passed on October 10. Jo was long time businessman here in Lawton. He attended Washington Grade School and graduated LHS in 1933. Jo is survived by son Charles Andrews (class '59) and daughter-in-law Colleen; five grandchildren. Jo was preceded in death by wife Florence and son Ross Andrews. I have known Jo since grade school as Charles & I both attended Washington and my dad had business with Jo over the years. He was a very nice person.
A Memorial service will be held at 10:30am, Friday October 16 at First Baptist Memorial Chapel. Interment with US Navy honors will follow at Highland Cemetery.
Extended obit and guest book at: <www.beckerfuneral.com>

Also lost '59 classmate Gloria Ann (Rhoades) Phillips, 68, of Lawton, who passed on October 6. Gloria is survived by a daughter; two sons; 18 grandchildren; a sister and two brothers.
Services were held on October 10 in Lawton.
Extended obit and guest book at: <www.beckerfuneral.com>

Also passing, Floyd Don Elrod Jr., 64, of Lawton. Don passed on October 9. Don was LHS class '63, a retired policeman, and numerous of us knew Don from his work about town. He had been recently diagnosed with cancer. So sorry for his passing. Always enjoyed visiting with him. Don is survived by six siblings. A Memorial service will be held at 2:00pm on Tuesday October 20, Whinery Huddleston Chapel with burial to follow at Highland Cemetery.
Extended obit and guest book at: <www.whineryhuddleston.com>

I know our sympathies are with the families of these who have lost loved ones.

From the eMail bag: I want to correct a miss-spelling of Brucilla (correct) Montagues' name in last news. Sorry for the typos. Tommy Lynn (Powers) Johnson was kind to point it out and also provide some wonderful recollections of the Montague family.....
"They were really a very dedicated and loyal family. Since we lived two blocks South of them on 14th street, the girls often sat with my brothers, Jimmy and Bobby Powers. I am so sorry to her of her passing. I last saw Brucilla in Chesley's office approximately 3 years before he retired and she was still the same funny and happy Brucilla that I had always known. Everyone who knew her will remember her wonderful laugh." TL
note: Chesley & Brucilla had another sister, Mayme, who is also deceased.

A PS from Bert Click in regard to those who joined the Air Force when he did, (last news)...
"Georgia, I got out my class graduation list ['49] and determined that the third man joining Gene Yates and Dan Inglis in the Air Force was Ronnie Price."

And, I've just heard that Richard Lassetter is continuing to do well, has been moved to room 2102 at Norman Regional Hosp, and will be going home Wednesday after triple by-pass surgery last week.

My Bill visited with Charles Jennings for a while at the recent reunion. Charles is class '57 and married to our '59 classmate Beverly (Askegreen). They live in CA and Charles has been involved in architecture and construction management all his career. In recent years Charles has been building kayaks (Charley J's hand crafted kayaks) and he was kind enough to send some pictures to Bill. I am attaching couple pictures (above) as they are just beautiful! He has a fleet of 6 so far, they are each 17 foot long and seem to be sea worthy. He may have plans to market them? The picture of the two.....Charles says.... "The deck on the boat to the left consists of Western red cedar and popular. The other boats deck is redwood with a herringbone of popular down the center."
What wonderful craftsmanship and obviously a labor of love. I would be very proud and I think it would be difficult to part with them.

SHOW TIME! I have just posted pictures that I took at the class 1959 - 50th reunion. The last 5 (except pix of committee) are courtesy of Joel Boyd. Have other classmates sending pictures and will add them as I get them. Some were Friday night at Museum, others Saturday night at Medicine Park. I know I missed some but tried to get as many as possible. I hope I have not gotten anyones name wrong, misspelled, etc. If so, not intentional...please let me know & I will make changes!
Meanwhile.....enjoy! <http://thewolvernet.blogspot.com/> Right hand side of blog - caption reads..."Link to LHS Pictures, reunions....."

Regards to all from soggy 'home town'...rain continues.........Georgia

No comments: