Friday, March 26, 2010

......LHS News......
Originally sent March 25
I'm sorry to report the passing of Carolyn (Frost) Winburn, 57, of Duncan. Carolyn passed on March 17 after a short illness/cancer. We are assuming Carolyn was an LHS grad, would have been about '69 or '70? She is the sister of Ronnie Frost, '63 and David Frost, '66. She is survived by husband, James Winburn; four children; 11 grandchildren. A memorial service was held March 20 in Duncan.Extended obit and guest book at: http://www.legacy.com/duncanbanner/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=140824489

Also, we lost Reta Gay (Warren) Christian, 75, of Lawton. Reta passed on March 22. She was class '52. She is survived by a daughter Ronda; a son Wesley; several grandchildren; a sister Patricia Fields.She was preceded in death by her husband Bill Christian who passed in 1983. He was also class '52.Services were March 24 in Lawton.
Extended obit and guest book at: www.grayfuneral.com

This note from Reta's classmate Marcille (Burns) Covey...."Reta Gay and I had been in Ruth Dana Williams' Blue Birds and then in Camp Fire....she lived three doors east of me when we were in LHS."
List of recipients for LHS News continues to grow. I have not counted lately but several hundred grads from wide range of years receive the news - in US, Europe, and Mexico! I am happy that so many enjoy. If you need to reach me, easiest way is my email - jorjaw@sbcglobal.net I get comments from time to time on the blog but sometimes it's a week or 2-3 before I catch them. If you do post comments on blog & want a response, please leave your email address. I keep everything under nicknames/list and don't always know who I am talking with.......btw... I am getting about a dozen 'returns' each time I send the news. If your email address changes and you want to continue to get the news, be sure you send me the changes. Thanks.
Thought this tid-bit would be of interest.....appreciate Murdoch Matthew for sending it my way...
Classmates.com has settled a class action lawsuit for $9.5M for tricking people into signing up for memberships by falsely telling them that old schoolmates were trying to contact them. The problems for Classmate.com began back in late 2007, when San Diego resident Anthony Michaels received an email from the social networking company informing him that his old classmates were trying to contact him. In order to see who and why, Michaels had to upgrade to a Gold Membership. However, upon forking out to do so, he discovered that nobody was trying to get in touch; it was just a dubious marketing ploy from Classmates.com.

Hummmmmm....yours truly had noticed that classmates was telling me that some I knew were deceased, were trying to reach me! If they can do that....I'll join!
If you are a member of Facebook...you might want to check-out this 'alert'. I looked at it and seems it is a legitimate warning about hackers/spamers using Facebook accounts to spread a virus. http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9173158/Facebook_users_targeted_in_spam_attack
Appreciate '59 classmate Pat (Sheppard) Holcomb for the heads-up.
Last reminder.....
Class 1955 - Friday 25th, pre-reunion get together, 6:00pm, Mikes Sports Grill.
Class 1963 - Friday 26th, pre-reunion get together, 6:30pm, Fisherman's Cove (upstairs). On hiway 49 to Medicine Park. Other years also welcome at both these events.
All Class Reunion, Saturday 27th, noon - 6:00pm. Music Hall (old skating rink) at Medicine Park. Buffet style meal served around 1-2:00pm.More details on blog: http://www.thewolvernet.blogspot.com/

If you take pictures at any of these events, I hope you will share with me and I will post on the WolverNet blog...in JPEG format or a link to your pictures. Thanks!
I am a subscriber to the Oklahoman (formerly The Daily Oklahoman) newspaper. Imagine my surprise while reading this past Sunday paper to see a picture of '59 classmate Kay (Pavillard) Otis. Kay was at a luncheon of over 200 women from 20 chapters of PEO (Philanthropic Educational Organization) at the Quail Creek Golf and CC in OKC. Kay presented the program which was a characterization of PEO founder Franc Roads Elliot. I just had a nice email from Kay & Jerry and she didn't mention it!!! Glad I saw it. (pix above, Kay is in the LHS red jacket).
Weather looks to be very spring-like and pleasant this week-end. Enjoy! Georgia

No comments: