Monday, May 26, 2008

......LHS News......
Originally sent May 18

'58 classmate Ron Hagler emailed me about 10 days ago and asked if I knew what had happened to one of our 'teachers'.....W.C. Burris. I had no information, but a check on white pages.com located a WC Burris in Edmond. Ron called and it was the right Burris but unfortunately Mr. Burris passed away about 4 years ago. Ron said he had about a two hour visit with his wife Joan.
Below is info Ron had initially sent to me and I thought some of you would remember Mr. Burris and enjoy it. I do not have a date when this was compiled. btw....Ron is planning to be at class '58 reunion in August. He has a new Peek-a-poo (Sugar) keeping him company, twelve weeks old. Think she just about has Ron trained!

From Ron: "This is latest I have on him, he was the boy's counselor at LHS." DR. WILFORD C. 'W.C.' BURRIS - Mead, OK. I am a retired educator, retiring as president of Western Oklahoma State College, Altus. My wife Joan Morrison is a housewife. We have one son, Jon Michael Burris and daughter-in-law, Cynthia of Edmond. We have two granddaughters, Aija Mikel, 15, and Kari Cierra Burris, 13. My hobbies are traveling and fishing. We are enjoying R.V. travel to South Texas and Colorado and living on Lake Texoma in Southeastern Oklahoma. After graduation, I attended Cameron State College, earning an Associate of Science Degree in 1950 and attended South Western Oklahoma State University, earning a Bachelor of Science Degree in 1951.1 received a Master of Science Degree in 1957 from Oklahoma Stale University and my Doctor of Education Degree from OSU in 1968. I taught in Arnett and the Lawton school systems. From 1961 through 1971, I was Dean of Students of South Western Oklahoma State University and Associate Professor of Education and Psychology. I became president of Western Oklahoma State College, Altus in July 1971-1990, retiring from public education after 42 years. I will be attending this year's alumni celebration. end

Regards.......Georgia

No comments: