Thursday, May 20, 2010




......LHS News......
Originally sent May 16

I always hate to pass along news of those we have lost and it's especially difficult when it's some one I have known personally and all my life. Louis Yarmuk, 91, passed on Sunday May 16 in Lawton. Louis has been in ill health for several years. Louis was born in Lawton and grew up here, graduating from LHS in 1936. He married Marie Smith in 1938, she passed in 2008. Louis is father of our '59 classmate and my life long friend Babs Givens and her sister Teresa Adair. Services for Louis will be 10:00am on Wednesday May 19, First Christian church in Lawton. Burial will follow at Highland Cemetery.
Extended obit and guest book at: www.beckerfuneral.com

Also passing recently, Thomas A. 'Tom' Wade, 58, of Lawton. Tom passed on May 11 and services were held May 14. Tom is a '70 grad of LHS. He is survived by 3 daughters; 1 granddaughter; 9 brothers; 3 sisters. He was preceded in death by his parents Charles and Madge Wade.
Extended obit and guest book at: www.grayfuneral.com
I know our sympathies are with these who have lost loved ones.

Mike Wyant has asked for your prayers concerning his 33 year old son Ash. Ash has extremely serious heart problems from age 5 and for the past year and half has been undergoing tests. He has just been told that he cannot be placed on a list for a transplant. His condition is very fragile and where they go from here is not certain. Ash lives in CA with wife Rebecca and his two daughters, Luminara (4) and Petra (2). Please keep them in your prayers.

From the eMail bag:
I receive monthly newsletters from '59 classmate Jerry (Sasser) Childs and this months' featured a picture of Jerry and her husband - Ron - as they go about their missionary work in Niger. They have been in Africa some 30+ years. (pix above)

Email from Ron Hagler, '58, at the ANA National Money Show in Ft. Worth. Ron says nothing wrong, policeman just 'guarding' the million dollars! Hummmmm? Run Ron, Run!!! (pix above)

Excerpt from email from '59 classmates Jerry and Kay (Pavillard) Otis.....as I had mentioned they were close to OKC tornado....
"Jerry and I rode out the tornados in our storm shelter (located in the garage) along with our dog Abby. We had to move the car that was parked over the shelter out to the driveway in order to have access to the shelter. The storm produced baseball size hail and the only damage we received was rear window of our car which was shattered plus many "dings" on the car. When they show the damage, I am amazed that more people weren't killed. .......headed to California on the 20th to stay with my grandson Tristan while my daughter Adrienne goes to a business conference. I'll be gone a week. The only thing I have to worry about out there is earthquakes! Ha!!"

More on the baseball team photo that was in last news:
"Georgia: This photo is of the Whittier Browns (maybe 13 and 14 year olds) The Cardinals were the 11 and 12 yr olds. My brother Bob and I were on the FIRST Cardinal team several years earlier. Since I was a St. Louis Cardinal fan, I talked them into being Cardinals. The team was coached by Mr Barnes, Glens father. Also on the team was Jimmy Ballard, Durvis Hulen, Pee Wee (Bill) Williams, and others I'm sorry I can't remember. We were Cardinals for two years and was joined by Jerry Long, Wayne Kniffin and others I can't remember. The next year we were the Browns, named after the St. Louis Browns, the first year of the Browns, with most of the same players. Several years ago, I took one of the original Whittier Cardinals t-shirts along with a photo of the Whittier Browns to Whittier Grade School. I was told it would be placed in the showcase at the school but I have not been by to see. I think the photo here is of the Browns their second year. Bobby and I were playing in the mens softball leagues, with our two older brothers, or we would have been on that team. Something I have always regretted. Sure brings back a lot of great memories. Keep things like this coming to us.
Thanks, Jimmy Reynolds"
PS: I keep remembering names of the first Whittier Cardinals team. Also on the team was Chad Bledsoe and Bob Keiningham. To the best of my remembrance, the photo was probably, maybe, at the 1948 Whittier Browns.

"Loved the baseball photo. If any of you in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area would like to see an old Wolverine in the musical Oklahoma, go to www.artisanct.com for details. My acting is so-so but I've got the accent down pat."
Gale McCray
PS Just click on OKLAHOMA and then click on Cast and Crew to see my photo and bio. Of course, my bio isn't that long. I was in my first play a little over 2 years ago and this is my third one. I play Andrew Carnes, the father of Ado Annie. Like I said, my acting is so-so, so I just try to channel Gabby Hayes. Play is double cast so my shows are Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday nights."

Major congrats to '59 classmate Tommy Hix and his wife Bonnie (Schaff), '60, as they celebrate their 50th - May 29th!

Received a land-line from '59 classmate Phil Wilder up Colorado way. We had a great visit about the good old days and friends we had in common. Phil and I attended school and church together! Appreciate and enjoyed the call.

Bill & I recently had opportunity to visit with Dr. Sam Hamra, '55, and his sister Sameera Murad, '52. They were both fine, looked great! We had a fun time reminiscing about the old neighborhood (we grew up next door to each other) and school days with old and dear friends! Sameera (Sissy) and Bill were in same class - '52. I'm much younger than all of them! I say in jest.....na-na-na!

Also had opportunity for a brief visit Saturday night with '59 classmate Julie (Ashlock) Weedn at an event in her hometown - Duncan!

Appreciate all the kind words from classmates across the country......so glad you enjoy the news. Remember, older news and photos archived at the blog: Right here!
Kind thoughts back at ya!~ Georgia

No comments: