Thursday, January 3, 2008

......LHS News......
Originally sent Dec. 31, 2007

So sorry to report the passing of Evelyn Pearl (Clark) Martin, 94, of Edmond on Dec. 28. Mrs. Martin taught American history at Central High School and Tomlinson Jr. High. She retired from Lawton Public Schools in 1976. I knew Mrs. Martin fairly well as we attended church together and she & my mom were in a ladies social group. She was a great cook & I have a recipe of hers I make every holiday - a wonderful gelatin salad. Just had it! In 1980, she & husband Albert moved to Edmond area to be close to [only child] daughter Jean Marie Adams (Mrs. Paul). Albert passed away several years ago. Services will be Wednesday, Jan. 2, Edmond church of Christ, 10:00am.

Also passing on Dec. 29, Bobby Dean Booth, 61, of Lawton. Bob is a 1964 grad of LHS, played football and was All State. Also played basketball and baseball. He attended OSU where he also played football. He is son of Bobby Neal Booth (deceased) & Johnnie Milburn Booth, they ran an upholstery business here in Lawton. Services were Monday, Dec. 31, here in Lawton. So sorry for both these losses.

Well, the 'news' about Richard 'Dickie' Eagleshields' sister and the brother certainly sparked 'memories' for a lot of classmates.

This from Doyce Grayson:
Tell Joe Lansden, he was right on the mark for Bob Ishmael. 1956 was it. Bob's brother Joe is also a friend to the class. Sammy Eagleshield was in 1955 and 1956 classes. His brother Dickie was after that. They also ran with fellow classmates Kenneth Cambron and Freddy Alandes. They all lived in 100 Block of A Avenue. I don't know how much fear their Great-Great Grandfather put in the soldiers in Arizona and New Mexico, but I'll bet it didn't compare to the fear Sammy and Dickie put into the one's at Fort Sill and basically they were nice guy's, if they liked you.
Now Mr. Bish told me that he didn't agree with that. He said he remembered them well!! Kenneth, Freddy, and Dickie have passed on, Sammy lives in Anadarko. You should hear his answering machine, or it might be him!!! I don't know? We certainly had some intellects in that Class. Your friend Doyce. Happy New Year.

This from Duffy (Hankins) Gilbert:
FYI- I discovered several years ago that Dick Eagleshield is buried by Geronimo at Ft Sill Apache Cemetery on the east side of I44. A friend and I were researching cemeteries in the county and that cemetery was one of ours to research. Interesting what we can learn.

btw...Duff is headed back to Houston in January. She is a cancer survivor and will be possibly taking part in some new clinical studies. I hope you will join me in keeping Duffy and other classmates with health problems in your prayers.

What I remember most about Dickie Eagleshield (besides the black leather jacket)....he had a crush on '59 classmate Stephanie Lester. We were in Junior High - 8th, maybe 9th grade - Stephanie was a cheerleader & that's when football games were at Ron Stephens Stadium.
Dickie would show up during games & stand off at a distance with some of his 'groupies' & watch Stephanie. It was obvious he had 'visions' of something???? Sadly for Dickie, never worked out!

I do know that class 1958 had their first organizational meeting for their 50 year reunion which is coming up fast! Will pass along details when I get them. Meanwhile, if you have input or questions, get hold of Ken Easton.

Received an email from Glen Thomason, class '56, he sent me a picture of a rockfish he caught Dec. 5 out on Chesapeake Bay.
My Bill is baiting up! Huh, Mitch!

Well, just cooked pot of black-eyed peas, cornbread, and assorted sweets. We are heading out shortly to go welcome the New Year with friends and family. I want to wish all of you an enjoyable evening and a blest New Year.I thank Ed Adams who sent me this link and I want to share as it expresses my sentiments to you all. <http://llerrah.com/newyearwishes.htm>

Closing out the year 2007 from the 'ol home town'...didn't it go by fast! Warmest regards to all, Georgia

Never a Christmas Morning,never the old year ends, but someone
thinks of someone, Old Days, Old Times, Old Friends.
Happy New Year Wolverines ~ 2008!

No comments: