Friday, June 12, 2009

......LHS News......
Originally sent June 4


So very sorry to report the passing of Jon A. Gilbert, 71, of Duncan. Jon passed on June 2. Jon is a 1955 grad of LHS and attended Cameron.He is survived by wife Syble, a daughter and three sons.Services will be 2:00pm Friday, June 5 at Don Grantham Funeral Home chapel in Duncan with burial at Hope Community Cemetery. The family will receive friends today (Thursday) at the funeral home, 5:30pm - 7:30pm.

Also, the passing of Earl Thomas 'Tom' Keyes, 57, of Lawton. Earl passed on May 27. Services were held in Lawton. Earl graduated LHS in 1969, served and retired from the US Army and Civil Service. He is survived by his mom, two grand daughters; two brothers and five sisters.

Also received an email from '59 classmate Bob Meek out California way, who spotted this obit in the Bakersfield,CA paper. Edward R. "Scotty" Scott, passed on May 25. Born 1933 in Lawton, OK. He was retired from Carnation, avid sportsman. I do not know him, but some of you might? He is survived by wife Beverly, two sons. If Scotty went to LHS, would have graduated in mid '40's?
Our sympathies with all who have lost loved ones.

Email:
"Hi, Just letting you know that Norma Lee (Curry) Gardner, '56, was in Lawton and had dinner with Mary Sue Grimes, Barbara Cunningham. Norma Lee is on the way to KC, MO for son's wedding. Norma Lee has a place in Yucca Valley, CA. and I live in the same Senior Park.
Charlotte Magill, '56"

The car remembrances from Steve Colwell evoked many memories:

From Joe Lansden: 49-50 Hudson /Bullock - I remember the story a little differently, but maybe Dick Bullock can clear us up on the true story. Dick & Bill's father was the Hudson dealer in Lawton. As I remember, when his parents were on vacation, Bill pulled the engine out of his 46 Hudson coupe and replaced it with another engine he pulled out of a brand new car sitting on the dealership floor, a 49 or 50 Hudson sedan. He caught Holy Hell, of course, when his father returned. Steve brought back some great memories! Too bad Frank Rinehart isn't still alive to enjoy them. They were fun times.

I taught myself to drive along with help from Richard Carmichael. Bought a '47 Plymouth, '52 Plymouth then a '56 light blue and white Custom Vic Ford. A lot of people say they didn't exist, but they did. Then went new to a Dodge Lancer '62 with push buttons. My husband and I stayed mostly British after that.
Frankie (Ingraham) Kinderman

My dad too had a chev with the slight fins about a 55-56, without the stuff you had. In fact, I think he had two and I got to drive one. He also had about a 38 Plymouth coupe, too, in the 40s. It was definitely before I knew about going fast. It had a place in back of the front seats that my sis Duff and I would lay sideways in, each with our head on the right or left.
Dad also had a pink Oldsmobile of the 50s vintage. I won't say what color of pink he called it, but it starts with a p. I learned to drive on a Plymouth of some kind--4 door, I think. He bought Richard Neptune's green '52 Chev and then gave it to me in 55. It had the sun shade over the front and was a two door. It had a lowered back end but I don't think it was used for transporting anything--just looked like it. He also had a couple of DeSotos in the 50s. If he'd have had at least one boy instead of two girls, they would have loved all the cars he had. I remember the 50-something Fords, too. Thanks for the trip through Memory Lane!
Susan (Hankins) Ellington, '56

Great update Georgia and it is true. Tom Bullock often sends in comments on the newsletter and can offer his version of the Hudson. Tom was also a career military trooper with me. The stories about the autos and folks really hit home since I worked in the auto trade from age 10 till I left for the military Sept 56.
It was Roy Sauerman, Frank Kitchens, Cecil Easton, Roy Hennessee, Babs Yarmuk's dad, and others that got me started in Masonry in 1955 and I continue today as a Shriner, 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason, Sojourner and Blue Lodge Master Mason. Thanks Georgia for your great articles from LHS grads. Still hanging in there, Cancer continues to shrink and PT treatment for back helping. All our Love to you and Bill and the LHS grads.
Ralph, '52, and Jackie Purvis, San Antonio

Hi Georgia, Thanks for the pictures of the cars!! When I married my husband, Joe, he was and still is a car nut and drove a dark green '51 Mercury in mint condition and waxed it every weekend at my house. My Mom said you could hear him coming a mile away with those loud pipes on the car. Unfortunately we sold it later on. We have gotten involved, in the last few years, with Car Shows and own a 1971 Ford LTD Convertible, original color, Ginger Spice Brown. We really enjoy riding around at night with the top down listening to the old songs. It brings back a lot of good memories!!!
Becky (Mincey) Roberts, '59

Reminders:
LHS class 1969 is planning a 40th reunion. Set for Friday and Saturday July 3-4, 2009. For information call Marilyn Kitzrow at (580) 357-3818; Dwight Meadors at (580) 581-1671or LHS (580) 355-5170.

AND.......LHS class 1964 reunion July 17-18.
Friday is a Roll-Out-the-Carpet-Social at the VFW Post 5263, 8:00pm to 12.
Saturday is an Alumni Mixer at Mike's Sports Grill, 517 E. Gore, 7:00pm to 12. Cost is $35 per person sent to Shirley (Stanley) Hedrick, 243 Fox Fire Road, Lawton, Ok 73507;
SAHROCK@aol.com

Class 1959: please get your bio info to Beverly ASAP!

Always appreciate your comments.......best to all...Georgia

No comments: